MAKE // PUT AN EGG ON IT // SPRING RISOTTO


Luke informed me that his favorite part of my blog is the recipes I occasionally post. I think it’s because that means he gets to test out the food. ;) I decided to do a series of recipes in a theme, not every week but as often as I can, and when I’ve exhausted this theme, I’ll make a new one!

So, first series up, PUT AN EGG ON IT! Luke and I love, I mean lovelovelove eggs. Fried, poached, scrambled, whatever. And one of our favorite things is to top various foods with runny-yolk eggs. I apologize if that’s not your thing, you are seriously crazy, I mean, sorry…I’ll do a drastically different series next time. ;)





This recipe is from Bon Appetit, where I get a lot of my recipes and I am so in love with their magazine. (Especially lately…they’ve made some layout and design changes and the photography has gotten even more amazing!) Risotto in itself is probably Luke and my favorite dish. I make it often and have a few versions, but once I saw this version topped with a poached egg, I knew I’d have to give it a try!

I changed up a few ingredients from the original, based on how I usually make risotto and what we had or liked. The add-ins we prefer after a couple times making it are leeks, wild mushrooms (I wish I could get “real” wild mushrooms, not a “stir-fry mix” but I’ll take what I can get!) and asparagus. We don't really like the taste of fennel, so that went, and Luke's not big on favas or peas. Also, you could use the creme fraiche/sour cream but I prefer butter to "finish" the risotto. And I pretty much halved the recipe, but I still think it serves 4 comfortably. 

Also, poaching an egg is so much simpler than I ever imagined! I had never poached one up until making this, and I was a little apprehensive. Why I was so nervous about it, I’ll never know. If you can boil water, you can poach an egg!





SPRING RISOTTO // serves 4


Olive oil
8 oz wild mushrooms (or baby bella, if you can’t get wild), chopped
1 lb. asparagus, cut into 1” pieces
Salt and Pepper
1 leek, white and light green parts, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 c. aborio rice
1/2 c. white wine
6 c. chicken broth, simmering (you probably won't need it all.)
1/4 c. parmesan cheese, shredded
2 T. butter.




Splash a little olive oil (I use about half a tablespoon) in a large sauté pan (I have a favorite cast iron pan that I call my risotto pan) and sauté the mushrooms over medium heat, about 8 minutes, until soft. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and remove from pan into a bowl. Add another splash of olive oil and sauté the asparagus until tender, about 5 minutes. Put the asparagus in the bowl with the mushrooms. Add another splash of oil, and add the leeks and sauté until soft, about 4-5 minutes, then add the garlic and rice. Stir so that it’s all coated with the oil, and cook for a minute. Pour in the wine carefully (it will steam a lot) and stir, until the wine mostly evaporates and leaves “trails” in the pan. (You will see creamy-looking streaks on the bottom of the pan when you stir.) That’s the cue to add broth, about 1/2 c. at a time. Continue adding broth until the rice is al dente, a bit of chew to it but soft. You want the finished product to not be soupy, but not thick either, it should spread a bit when you put it into a bowl.  Then add the butter and parmesan and stir it in, and after both have melted add in the mushrooms and asparagus. Remove from the heat and serve with a poached egg over the top.






TO POACH AN EGG:

Bring a small pot of water to a simmer with a splash of vinegar. You want it to be simmering lightly, not a rolling boil. Crack an egg into a small bowl. When the water is simmering, hold the bowl right over the surface of the water and gently slide the egg in. Repeat with a second egg. (It’s easiest to do two at a time.) Set a timer right away for 3 minutes. When it goes off, use a slotted spoon to remove the eggs from the pot. Either serve right away, or put into a bowl of ice water to keep from cooking any longer. To heat back up when ready to serve, drop back into simmering water for about 30 seconds. 

This entry was posted on 5.02.2013 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

2 Responses to “MAKE // PUT AN EGG ON IT // SPRING RISOTTO”

Mary Beth // Annapolis said...

Yay for posting recipes again!!!!! One of my favorites, too! Never poached an egg...I have to admit. And you are seriously so creative in the kitchen. I'm trying so hard to venture outside of the recipe box a little more and add my own things. So hard for me...

Jordan Boesch said...

I get in ruts too, but we both are such foodies that we always are trying new things. That's not to say that they all turn out... :P