Pizza Pizza!




I looked through my archives and couldn't believe I hadn't posted this recipe! Pizza is one of my favorite things to make and eat, and homemade pizza is always so delicious! I have no idea where I got this recipe for pizza dough, but it's been a while and I can't even count how many times I've made it. You can make it thin or thick, and it's even better when you make it the day before you want pizza - it will get such great flavor! I use it for making flatbread and breadsticks a lot too...a great pizza dough recipe is really flexible and will always come in handy!

I used to use a bread machine set to the dough cycle to make this dough (until I dumped some crumbs from the bucket into the trash and accidentally threw away the paddle!) but it really isn't necessary. Plus you can make this dough in under an hour if you really have to - just mix it up, and set it on top of your oven set to a low temperature and it will rise pretty fast!


Super-simple super-easy Pizza Dough

1 c (to 1 1/2 c., depending on humidity/altitude - in DE I used a cup, here, 1 1/2) tap water
3 1/2 c. flour
1 t. salt
1 t. sugar
2 t. instant or rapid rise yeast (I have to use 1 t. since I'm at a high altitude)


Mix all the ingredients with your hands in a large mixing bowl. Knead just until it is smooth and all the flour is worked in, adding water as needed. You don't want to make it too sticky though, but it that happens just add a scoop of flour. Cover with plastic wrap or a lid if your bowl has one. Let rise until doubled in size in a warm place. If making the day before, just stick it in the fridge and take it out when you're ready to use.

Drizzle a little olive oil on a pizza pan or stone, and spread it out with your hands. Toss/stretch the dough until it looks like a pizza and knock yourself out with the toppings! Bake at 425 degrees F until golden brown and the cheese is melted, about 20 minutes.




My pizza tips:

*I don't have a pizza peel so I usually don't heat up my pizza stone first. But if you do, you'll get a really good crispy crust!

*I spread my crust with garlic and herb butter before I put sauce on it. Worth every extra calorie. ;-)

*My side of the pizza usually has pepperoni or prosciutto & caramelized onions. Luke's has salami, pepperoni, olives, mushrooms, etc etc...just don't put too many on when you're making a half-and-half pizza or your light side will burn.

*Spinach + proscuitto + caramelized onions = heaven. Just sayin'.

*Our favorite cheese combo is mozzarella with a dash of sharp cheddar, and a little Parmesan after you put on the toppings.

*Breadstick twists: flatten dough into rectangle, spread with garlic herb butter and sprinkle with Parmesan. Slice with a pizza cutter into strips, fold the topping side together (inside the twist) and twist the ends. Bake for about 15 minutes. Yum.

This entry was posted on 6.28.2010 and is filed under ,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.