Spicy Mexican Chicken Skillet





This was one of my "experiments" and it turned out really well! The second time I made it I think it really turned out the way I'll keep it. I serve it over Spanish Rice (Luke and I like the Near East box mix, although you can use any or make your own), and if you like you could serve it with guacamole, sour cream, or salsa. Another tip is to slice the hot peppers very thinly, so that those people who like the flavor that comes from cooking with hot peppers but don't want to eat them don't have to eat them. (I.e., me! They are too spicy for me!) This serves two, so just multiply for however many people you are serving.



Spicy Mexican Chicken Skillet
1 chicken breast half, cut in thin strips
1 red pepper, sliced
1 green pepper, sliced
1 jalepeno, thinly sliced
1 red chile pepper, thinly sliced
1/4 onion, sliced (optional)
1/4 c. (approx.) fresh chopped cilantro
1/8 c. salsa
Tapatio hot sauce (or your favorite Mexican hot sauce)
Salt & pepper to taste


Cook the rice you'll serve it over according to package directions. Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add a few tablespoons of butter and a little olive oil (so the butter doesn't burn). Saute the chicken strips, and when they are cooked through, add hot sauce over them to taste. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add the peppers to the skillet, saute a few minutes until they start to get tender. Add the cilantro and the salsa. Saute a few minutes more, until the cilantro is wilting. Serve immediately over the rice.






Downloadable recipe!

This entry was posted on 9.19.2008 and is filed under ,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.