Our Courtship Story

This is long, but we feel that it shows God's hand in our relationship, so we think you should read it.

~Luke & Jordan~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~




Jordan: I wasn’t supposed to go to Patrick Henry College online in the Fall 2005 semester. I was supposed to be at Wesley in Dover. I got accepted, and got a scholarship, but it wasn’t enough. Mom mentioned PHC again, and so did Heather T. and after looking into it, decided to try PHC out again. Little did I know that decision would change my life, and someone else’s too.

I decided on History of the Western World I, Theology of the Bible I, and Western Literature I. I also was still at Del Tech, and for the first two weeks of college, working two jobs as well. My summer job ended, but I still had two colleges and one job. School was stressing me, and I was starting to get sick from various food allergies. One day I needed help with a literature paper…

Luke: I was starting my third semester at PHC taking History of the Western World I, Western Literature I, Principles of Biblical Reasoning and Logic. PHC classes as always were keeping me busy. Little did I know that this semester my life would change. I was on AIM one night someone IMed me for Jordan, and asked for help on a literature paper. Before I knew it, Jordan was IMing me to say thank you and right away I knew she was different and I loved talking to her.

I had been teasing Jordan back at the beginning when we started talking about her brown eyes being prettier than any other color. Then one day I said that brown eyes had recently become my favorite color eye. Two days later she asked if I’d meant anything by that comment, and I said I was sorry if I’d led her on. Really though, I asked myself what I had meant by that, and found out that I’d liked her all along…

Jordan: We talked a lot more after that, both in the chat room and on AIM, it seemed like more and more every day. Luke and I found out we had a lot in common, from music to theology, love of history, right down to the way we ate our tuna. (We both eat it straight out of the can, no mayo.) In early November, my grandmother, mom, sister and I went to Williamsburg, and I remember telling Luke I’d be gone for a few days, and he said he was really going to miss me. I thought it was different that someone who had never met me would miss me. Around that time, I really started liking him, and one night after talking with him, I went to bed and prayed, “God, take care of it all.”

By this time, school and work and food allergies were all getting to me, and I started getting sick, from the moment I woke up to when I went to sleep at night, and my mom decided I needed to go to the doctor and get bloodwork. I ended up passing out when they drew my blood, and needing more blood drawn later on…

Luke: We were talking, and Jordan had to get more bloodwork done, and I remembered she had passed out the first time. So I decided that I would send her something, and told her that if I’d had been there I would have held her hand. I had to go to Val to get the address. That night I wrote a letter to Jordan so that she would have something to hold while she got the bloodwork done since I couldn’t be there to hold her hand…

Jordan: I got the letter Luke sent on a Sunday since we’d not checked the mail the day before, and was pretty much astonished. Luke and I started talking more than we ever had and he started sending an email every morning to encourage me in the mornings so I wouldn’t feel sick. I started emailing back each day…

Luke: Since Jordan had asked me about the eye comment and I realized that I liked her, I’d been trying to decide and praying about how to tell her that I liked her. Finally one week I started writing a Word document about how I felt about her. It took me about a week to finish the whole letter. On December 6, 2005, at 1 a.m. I sat there staring at the “send” button until about 1:30. I finally sent it. The next morning I woke up and there was no email from her, and I was really really worried so I sent another email apologizing if I’d done anything wrong…

Jordan: On that morning, I was shocked to get Luke’s email, to say the least. I reassured Luke that he hadn’t done anything wrong, and tried to concentrate on literature. It took me a full week to write a reply and we also didn’t talk much that week. I told Luke that I did like him but we should also become good friends too. I also told him that he needed to call and talk to my dad, which he did on December 23, 2005. Dad handed the phone to me after he had talked to Luke, and we talked for about an hour. Both Luke and I and our families continued talking…

Luke: One day in middle January I asked Jordan’s mom if I could send Jordan something for Valentine’s Day. She said yes. On Valentine’s Day morning I sent my regular goodmorning email, asking if she would be my Valentine. And she said yes. For both of us, it was our very first Valentine. Along with that email I sent her an iTunes gift certificate…

Jordan: I was excited and so honored to have my very first Valentine, and hadn’t expected the gift certificate. A little later in the day Luke sent an email asking if I’d be home that day. I had no idea what he was planning. Mid-afternoon, I was upstairs getting a load of laundry when Kate started telling me to get downstairs, there was a box from 1-800-FLOWERS, with my name on it…

Luke: I had known that Jordan had liked the color peach, so I went online and typed in peach roses on 1-800-FLOWERS, and found ones that I liked and thought would be perfect for her. So I got them. Later that night on Valentine’s Day, I sent Martina McBride’s song “Valentine,” and from then on it became “our song.”

Jordan: I was so surprised about the roses, and was just so overwhelmed at how much Luke liked me. The next morning my goodmorning email had the song “Valentine” attached. I have to admit I cried that morning.

Luke: Before Valentine’s Day, I had been talking with Jordan and her parents about possibly coming to visit, because we didn’t want a long-term, long-distance, non-courtship relationship. Mr. Frey sent me an email telling me I could visit, and we decided that May 22, 2006 would be best, after school was over. So Jordan and I started counting down the days. We tried to concentrate on school, talked to each other every day, and started talking on the phone every week. The days went by, the weeks went by, the months went by, and finally May 22 was here.

Jordan: We had many wonderful days, and on Saturday, May 27, 2006, we headed up to the Civil War Ball, and Luke rode with my dad for most of the way up. We switched at Smyrna, and as we were pulling into Hagley, Luke asked me if he could court me.

Luke: She said yes.

This entry was posted on 8.01.2006 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

2 Responses to “Our Courtship Story”

~ said...

We discovered your courtship story on the internet and enjoyed reading your testimony to God's faithfulness. I hope it's okay that I have added a link to your story, along with an icon-sized picture, on my "Index of Courtship Stories" at www.ylcf.org/courtship-stories so that others can be encouraged by your story as well.
God bless you both!

The Young Ladies Christian Fellowship

Jordan Boesch said...

Thanks Natalie! :)